HCPSS Gifted and Talented Education Program
How does the Gifted and Talented Education Program support the Howard County Public School System mission?
The mission of the Howard County Public School System (HCPSS) is to ensure excellence in teaching and learning so that each student will participate responsibly in a diverse and changing world.
The Gifted and Talented Education Program supports this mission by seeking to recognize and develop talents in advanced-level learners. The following goals are established to offer a continuum of program services for advanced level learners.
The program will:
* Ensure that gifted education services are an integral part of the general education program
* Provide differentiated instruction and curriculum to continuously improve student achievement and performance
* Provide for the social and emotional needs of advanced-level learners
* Recognize and develop diverse abilities and talents
* Provide comprehensive professional development for its teachers to help them meet the unique needs of advanced-level students.
These goals are based on gifted program standards and content goals of the National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC), Maryland Learning Outcomes, and the Howard County Essential Curriculum.